SUSTAINABLE fashion topics you’d like to hear about
ABOUT THE ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES FASHION BLOG
This blog is intended to help you shop for more sustainable clothing, backed by data and research. My dream is for every brand and every item to be ethical and sustainable. Until then, we all need help finding the best clothes to buy – and verifying that it truly is the best.
The data and researched-backed topics of most interest to people are:
- An overview of the clothing industry and production process
- Tips to improve the lifecycle of an item
- Methods to learn about and validate brands’ ethical/sustainable practices
- Introductions to brands we can trust
- Sustainable apparel moonshots
These will be the subjects of future, data and research-backed blog posts.
I recently asked ethical/sustainable fashion enthusiasts what they want to learn on that topic and was excited to see all the informed questions they asked. No surprise, there’s a lot of confusion out there. But the great news is there is also a wealth of knowledge from the last decade that can definitively answer many of our questions.
So, over the next several weeks, I’ll post answers to these questions, as well as links to the best resources to help you apply these learnings.
Here’s what you’re interested in hearing about…
An overview of the clothing industry and production process:
• Evolution of the fashion industry and typical stages of brand maturity
• The journey to make a garment, illustrating the path from raw materials to textile factories to cut & sew factories, to retail shelves and your closet – and its impact the environment and the workers
• Defining "sustainable" and "ethical" production and products
• A vision for clothing production that is completely sustainable in every way
Tips to improve the lifecycle of an item:
• Where to shop for new and secondhand items
• Cleaning your clothes sustainably
• Skills for maintaining and repairing garments
• Responsibly finding a new life for your clothing
Methods to learn about and validate brands’ ethical/sustainable practices, and how to influence brands to do better:
• Accessible tips for comparing items that you are considering buying, including fabrics (e.g., organic, natural, vegan), quality, longevity, and sustainable/ethical production
• When to trust a brand and how to spot greenwashing
• Guide to business and production standards and certifications, including Fairtrade, B Corp, OEKO-TEX, etc.
• How to demand more transparency from brands
Introductions to brands we can trust:
• Which brands are doing the most, including brands with high-quality, long-lasting items, and brands produced in the U.S. and Canada
• Which ethical brands have inclusive sizing and good materials for plus sizes
• Whether to trust fast fashion brands' (e.g., H&M, Zara) sustainability credentials
• Which subscription clothing services (e.g., Stitch Fix, Trunk Club, Rent the Runway) are more sustainable, and what happens to items that are returned
Sustainable apparel moonshots necessary for using recycled fibers and making clothing net positive.
Tell me if there’s anything else you’re curious about. I’d love to hear from you -- find me on Twitter @escfastfashion.
Our mission is to restore the value of clothing by bringing you the highest quality endless clothes.
Quality. Sustainable. Endless.
SUPPORT FOR YOU
Contact us directly if there's anything we can do for you.
Email the CEO
Text the CEO